20 Home Maintenance Tips | Fall and Winter
With this weeks unseasonably warm temperatures across the Sioux Falls area, get outside for some fresh air and prepare your home for the quickly aproaching temperature change.
Especially in South Dakota, it’s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time, and money, later on. Check out these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
1. Check window and door weather stripping for damage.
2. Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
3. Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
4. Clean your gutters.
5. Check your roof for damage or leaks.
6. Fills cracks in your driveway and foundation.
7. Seal cracks around doors and windows.
8. Have your furnace serviced.
9. Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
10. Clean and store your lawnmower.
11. Aerate and fertilize your lawn.
12. Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
13. Change smoke detector batteries.
14. Clean and store outdoor furniture.
15. Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
16. Bring potted plants inside.
17. Change your ceiling fan direction.
18. Clean your humidifiers before using.
19. Check the condition of your pool cover.
20. Make sure snow equipment is working.